It’s Hibernation Time for the Bears!

It’s Hibernation Time for the Bears!

Diego Ramirez is overjoyed as he observed teammate Fabian Morales' skills that lead to a second goal on the icy field.

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy, Journalist

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019, the University Preparatory Jaguar Soccer Boys won an away game against Big Bear with a final score of 6-0.

With CIF’s around the corner, the Jaguars had no time to lose. They were determined to win. Traveling up the mountains, into 40-degree weather, didn’t stop the boys. Instead, it boosted their confidence to take home the trophy.

A motivational pregame talk from the coach was extremely helpful and made the Jags even more determined to win. Within the first four minutes of the game, junior Edgar Morales (#4), was swiftly able to score a goal for the team and after a couple of minutes, another goal was made by Morales.

Junior Alexander Orduño (#11) later scores goals in the icy, cold grass leaving the first half 5-0. The entire team knew, with the horrible weather, the way they play could be affected. Sophomore Roy Ponce (#14), the team captain, was asked how he felt about this, “We’re a passing team. We like to pass the ball a lot and we have a reputation for that. We’re a good team and I was hoping the weather wouldn’t affect us. But, we have really good coaches and they were able to guide us through and help us adjust to the way we had to play.”

Going into the second half, the Jaguar boys were still determined to win. Working together, they fought through the cold and showed Big Bear how strong they are. Scoring the last and final goal of the game, the only freshman on the team, Adrian Carranza (#6), kills it and the Jaguar boys leave the field taking home the trophy with the final score of 6-0.“I think I made an amazing goal, but if it weren’t for my team, I would not have ever made the goal. We passed it from the goalie, to defense, to midfield and then I ran it up the line and shot it. If it wasn’t for my coach and how he put the formation, that would have never happened. Again thanks to my team, they supported me and I’m the only freshman.”

The Jaguar boys were able to fight through the icy weather with effort and commitment, and were able to add the win to their now 13-2 league record.