The Student News Site of University Preparatory School

The Dangers of Buying Items Online

Cellular devices are a convenient pocket tool to quickly find where someone is or do some illegal transaction, it could be dangerous

DanielZanetti [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

The Dangers of Buying Items Online

January 30, 2019

The internet is stuffed with information and entertainment which you can access with just a few clicks. It can provide a great deal of assistance so there are many upsides to the internet.

However, the idea of helpful is different in everyone’s minds. While some might use it to find a recipe for food, others may just want to make a new friend. The more devious and malevolent people might find a way to use the internet to their advantage, too.

There have been many cases around the world of an innocent date going gruesome, or a person being scammed out of hundred of dollars. Extreme precautions must be taken when it comes to the web. Craigslist is just one example of a website designed to help that can also be manipulated into doing damage. Craigslist is a website for advertisements, where you can sell your items, or find something you want for a cheaper price. However, people have been tricked into handing over money and even into meeting a stranger to purchase an item. Those encounters can often lead to dangerous situations.

According to CBS News, a man was robbed after he meant to buy a $500 iPhone. The seller and him met up near a fast food restaurant when the victim had a gun pulled on him and his money stolen.

CBS News reported on a man who was convicted of preying on women he found on Craigslist. He attacked at least three women before being arrested. Julissa Brisman had been found shot and strangled in her hotel room. Philip Markoff was convicted and it was decided he had killed Brisman after she was supposed to be giving him a massage. He found her on Craigslist which is easy access to a victim anytime someone may want to commit a crime.

In order to make a Craigslist account, you have to be 18 but it is far too easy for a desperate teen to fake their age. At any age below 18, people can make rash decisions. Whether it be that they want to spite their parents, or buy something they really want.

Freshman Stanley Munoz shares his thoughts on what he would say if someone he knew went to buy something off craigslist, “In my opinion, I think it is a very bad choice to go on Craigslist just to buy something that you want and something can unexpectedly happen.”

It is wise to proceed with caution when dealing with anything online but the interaction with random strangers should not be done. Craigslist and interactions on any sites are unpredictable, therefore making it dangerous not only for adults but also those underage.

Listen UP • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in