Trump to Possibly Cancel California Wildfire Aid

California wildfire started in July 8,2017  and through out July 10,2017 and burnt down 13213 acres 30,000.

California wildfire started in July 8,2017 and through out July 10,2017 and burnt down 13213 acres 30,000.

By Bureau of Land Management - Archived source link, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17311095

Bella Ramirez, Journalist

The Wildfire Aid is a system that consists of supporting people who lost their houses and belongings in a fire. The Wildfire Funds started in 2003, and granted 6 million dollars for the aftermath of California Wildfires. They also helped with rebuilding homes, case management services, and mental health services.

According to Fox News, President Trump threatened to stop federal emergency aid for forest fires with a tweet. “Billions of dollars are sent to the State of California for Forest fires that, with proper Forest Management, would never happen. Unless they get their act together, which is unlikely, I have ordered FEMA to send no more money. It is a disgraceful situation in lives and money!” Trump stated on January 9, 2019.

FEMA, or the Federal Emergency Management Agency, is an assistance agency that helps with domestic disasters- including fires. Victims of the wildfires can apply for assistance for housing, food, and many other essential things.

Without FEMA, many people may find themselves in a difficult position and clueless on what they should do with their lives next.

As a school with students scattered all over and some even closer to the mountains where fires are most likely to spark, wildfires are a dangerous and ever present problem. For the people who suffered and can’t get help, they might not have families to help them with anything they may need after such destruction.

Freshman Alexa Hernandez comments, “Lots of people lose their houses and what not because of wildfires, and not giving those people the aid they need is just not right. Think about if you were in that situation.”

Trump’s tweet came during the recent government shutdown. FEMA, at the time, did not respond as most government funded agencies were suspended during the shutdown.

About the Writer
Bella Ramirez, Journalist

Position: Administration Journalist

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Listening to music/Movies/Photos

Favorite Foods: Posole/Elote/Chile Relleno

Astrological...