Silver Knight’s Confront Jaguars

Silver Knight’s Confront Jaguars

Good Game. Sportsmanship was much needed after the intensity of the game.

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy, Sports Journalist

On Saturday December 08, 2018 University Prep varsity Boys Soccer team played against their all time rival school, Riverside Prep. In an overall very intense game, the Silver Knights fought the Jaguars and took home the trophy with a final score of 1-0.

After a motivational pregame talk from the coach, the Jaguar boys were pumped and ready to crush the Silver Knights. The game began aggressively, the Silver Knights knew what they were going against, but with success, junior Gael Ramirez (#23) blocked two of their goals.

Within the first 5 minutes of the second half of the game, sophomore Julian Alcala (#9) was fouled in the box while dribbling the ball towards the goal. This caused a moment of anger for the Jaguar boys, leaving the players remarkably upset. Not too long after that sophomore Antonio Robinett (#25) was given an opportunity for a penalty shot, but unfortunately missed.

Tempers flared when referee Antonio told coach Sammy to control one of the parents supporting the team. Coach Sammy didn’t feel it was his responsibility to control the crowd. Consequently, the referee implied he was going to end the game by walking towards the middle of the field with the ball. Ultimately, he didn’t, but it caused the team to lose focus of the game and instead focus on the referee. According to coach Sammy, “We killed ourselves. There was a moment in the game where we started playing the outside game that we cannot control. We cannot control the referee’s decisions, and we started focusing more on his decisions than the game itself. I thought it was a moment of de-concentration for us. I mean we can’t change his decisions, but once we forgot about the referee, we were able to play and get back into our rhythm.”

Alroza Rasy

About 15-20 minutes into the second half, players on the field gathered together after Sophomore Antonio Robinett (#25) and Riverside Preps defender body slammed each other for the ball, resulting in the defender falling to the ground after Robinett tried to step over him to keep the play going, but instead he fell on top of the defender, making the defender so angry that he  began to berate Robinett. The referees came in and put a stop to the incident.

Robinett (#25) was still named the MVP of the game. A former Silver Knight, he felt “It was a disadvantage because I played with them in 6th grade. They all knew what I was capable of. I think although they knew what I was good and bad at, it has been a long time since I last played with them so I think today was the day my team and I could have shown them what we’ve got. I’m very thankful for my team for stepping up and putting in a good fight.”

In the last 15 minutes of the game, Riverside Preparatory senior Sebastian Nolasco (#9) scored a goal, leaving the score at 1-0.

Sophomore Oscar Serrano (#15) revealed what the team could have done better to win the game by stating, “I feel like we should have finished the opportunity that we had. We had plenty and we just couldn’t finish it. We could have kept our heads up, but we lost it at the end and we’ll just have to get them next time.”

.   

About the Photographer
Alroza Rasy, Journalist

Position: Sports

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Dancing

Favorite Foods: Salad, French Fries

Astrological Sign: Capricorn

Music Playlist: Hip...