Stormy Weather No Match for Rodriguez and the Lady Jags

Freshman Moala Fotu makes a freethrow late in the 2nd quarter ending the first half with the score 13-12.

Dani Gonzalez

Dani Gonzalez

Dani Gonzalez

Mariah Gonzalez, Sports Journalist

On Thursday, December 6th at 3:30 pm The Lady Jags won their first League game against the Silver Valley Trojans in Yermo, CA at the Silver Valley High School Campus. From the moment the players woke up, to the time they stepped off the bus at Silver Valley High School, the weather was against our Jaguars.

After an entire day of, on again, off again rain, the Lady Jags weren’t in their typical game day spirits. According to star player freshman Bibianna Rodriguez, the weather had an impact on the team. She stated, “It placed everyone in the mood that they didn’t want to be here and it kinda affected us.”

The first 3 minutes of the first quarter, passed scoreless, and both teams were simply going through the motions of the game. Silver Valley  made the first point in the form of a free throw, but with 2:24 left in first quarter, Rodriguez made a basket. Even with the opposing crowd screaming “Oink” senior Diamond Moncrease, followed Rodriguez’s shot with a free throw. The first quarter ended tied 3-3.

Early into the second quarter Rodriguez was thrown to the floor by an elbow to the chest. She reflected later, “ My thought process is there’s another and then I get up and keep going.” With a total of 9 points scored in the 2nd period, with Rodriguez, Moncrease, and freshman Moala Fotu, each scoring 2 points, and junior Erika Davis scoring a 3-pointer, the first half was wrapped up with a score of 13-12 and Silver Valley still in the lead.

It was quite obvious by the second half that theLady Jags had warmed up and were ready to bring home a win. Only 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter, they had tied the score with Silver Valley, 19-19, with baskets from Rodriguez, junior Delaney Torres, and E. Davis. After a free throw by Jazmyn Davis, the Jags had scored 20, and with 4:38 remaining in the third, Rodriguez scored her first 3-pointer of the game, increasing the score to 17-23. Following up with another 3-pointer by Rodriguez and a 2-pointer with 1 second to go in the 3rd quarter, wrapping up the third with the score 23-31 in the Lady Jags favor.

Not even a minute into the last quarter of the game, J. Davis and E. Davis each made a basket, and 2 minutes later Torres made a point in a free throw. With 4 minutes left, J. Davis lost her glasses as she lunged to intercept the ball from Silver Valley’s #3. The last 2 baskets scored by the Jaguars were made by Rodriguez, earning a total of 4 more points for the Jags. The game ended with the score 31-39. Even after a slow gloomy start, the Lady Jags brought home the win.