Listen UP

Becoming Artists

Sophomore+Kyla+Biscocho%27s+painting.+

Becoming Artists

Sophomore Kyla Biscocho's painting.

Sophomore Kyla Biscocho's painting.

Stacy Vazquez

Sophomore Kyla Biscocho's painting.

Stacy Vazquez

Stacy Vazquez

Sophomore Kyla Biscocho's painting.

Stacy Vazquez, Journalist

AP Spanish IV Students created works of art over Thanksgiving break. Mrs. Martinez assigned the project to go along with the Beauty and Aesthetics chapter the students are currently learning about. The three AP Spanish IV periods brainstormed approximately 17 different ideas for art projects. Including a mosaic, a painting, an animation, cake, and more. After brainstorming, Martinez allowed for students to choose between working alone, with a partner, or in a group of three. The students also got to choose the art project they would like to create with the exception that only two “groups” could choose the same project per period. It was up to students to get together and create the project over the week-long Thanksgiving break. Luckily, Martinez granted the students an extra week to complete their project.

Three students, freshman Vrianna Couillard and sophomores Thomas Pham and Kaytlin Reyes, chose to bake a cake. Couillard is actually vegan, so the group of students not only learned how to bake a cake, but they learned how to bake a vegan cake. Most cakes include ingredients such as milk and eggs, but the group had to substitute these items with vegan alternatives. Couillard mentioned during her presentation that instead of using cow’s milk they used coconut milk. “It was a good experience I got to learn more about my partners,” Couillard states when asked if she enjoyed creating the project.

Eighth-grader Leslie Aguayo designed and created a small dress out of tissue paper. She worked completely alone on her dress. Although the project may seem to be an easy task, Aguayo faced a struggle. She had originally made a different dress using the incorrect materials and had to start all over. “I chose to make a dress because I liked designing clothes and dresses since I was little,” Aguayo said. She was able to show and present something to the class that she truly likes and enjoys creating.

Freshman Jackie Islas and her partner, Alexandra Martinez, created melted crayon art. Similar to Aguayo’s problem, the group made the incorrect project. They originally created a mosaic which was their first choice, but two other students were going to create a mosaic too, so they chose a different type of art. Both girls seemed to have forgotten and accidentally made a mosaic instead and completed it. They soon realized their mistake and had to meet up again to create the artwork that they were assigned. “What worried me the most about the project was presenting. I was nervous to present the work.” Islas stated.

Lastly, sophomore Kyla Biscocho, a non-native Spanish speaker, created a painting. She used a picture she had taken herself for reference and used watercolors and acrylic paints to recreate it. Unlike some of the other students, this wasn’t Biscocho’s first time creating this type of artwork. She loves to draw and paint. She chose this type of art because she already had all the supplies necessary and she enjoys doing it. “I had trouble getting the small details in with the paint,” she said was her main struggle creating the work of art.

This was not only a first for the Spanish students, but it was also a first for Mrs. Martinez. This was the first time she ever assigned this project to her class. “The idea to assign this project was born from one of six topics assigned in the curriculum and that could possibly appear in the AP exam, Beauty and Aesthetics, and in this topic there is a lot of emphasis on art,” responded Mrs. Martinez when asked how she came up with the idea of the project. Mrs. Martinez also shared her expectations for the project. She said, “My expectations were for them to produce something that demonstrated that art isn’t always easy, and that by striving they saw that they are capable of producing something that satisfies them.” She mentions that her expectations were met for the most part, but that there is only a possibility of her assigning this again because the presentations stole some time from the class to focus on other important writings.

This project was definitely an experience for the students and the teacher. The students learned that everybody could be an artist with a little bit of effort, but they also learned that creating an art piece isn’t always an easy task as it appears to be. Mrs. Martinez learned about a new project she could possibly assign to the future AP Spanish IV classes and about the pros and cons of having the students do it. In the end, students learned about a new talent they didn’t know they had, or they learned about each other and the way we individually view beauty and art.

Stacy Vazquez
Freshman Samantha Casarez & Freshman Stacy Vazquez’s Painting

About the Contributor
Stacy Vazquez, Journalist

Position: Academics/Journalist/Team Smarties

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Dance, Read, Editing, and Sleep (Krush & GSA Member)

Favorite Foods: Ice...