Listen UP

Social Media: A Blessing or Distraction?

Freshman, Grace Dueñas, Is seen using her phone, scrolling through her social media account in front of a tree during her lunch.

Shania Williams Banks

Shania Williams Banks

Shania Williams Banks

Shania Williams, Club Journalist

There’s so much you can do on one app. It’s instant entertainment at the tip of your fingers. Do you want to text your friend and ask what last night’s homework was? Just send them a quick direct message. Want to see pictures of your favorite celebrity? Just go to their account and get to scrolling. You can stay on an app for hours and never get bored, but is that a good thing? Is having that much entertainment in one place good for you?

Well, it could be, if used correctly. Students could use it for help on homework from friends or work on projects together. With the amount of people on social media apps like Instagram and Snapchat ranging in the hundred millions, it shouldn’t be hard to find a friend to help you when you need it. For example, freshman Pei Han Cui says, “I don’t really use social media unless I have a project to do or something. But, sometimes, I send an interesting video to friends, but that’s after I’m done with my homework- unless someone needs help or something.” Cui explains it as social media being something that doesn’t interfere with school and can actually help you improve since you will have someone’s help if you mess up something or just didn’t get the lesson.

Though, admittedly, not all of us are as determined as Cui is, we could very easily be distracted by such enticing entertainment. Then again, why wouldn’t you? It’s always right there. You can bring it with you all the time. Who can really blame someone for getting distracted by the world of social media? Grace Dueñas is a victim of the pull social media seems to emit. “Yeah, it can be distracting from my homework, but  I usually only use it if my mind wanders or I get a notification or something. But, sometimes I use it for help with math or something. Though, I guess I would get my homework done faster if I didn’t have my phone at all.” In Dueñas’s case, she does get distracted, but she still uses her social media for help if need be.

In the end, it truly matters how you use it. With Cui, she manages to successfully get her work done and completely ignore the call of her devices. With Dueñas, though she may be less successful ignoring her phone, she still manages to use it for good when the time calls for it. There’s a thin line between being productive and wasting potential energy. How you choose to use your time and resources is ultimately up to you.

About the Photographer
Shania Williams Banks, Journalist

Position: Club Journalist

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Drawing, writing, and browsing the internet.

Favorite Foods: Seafood and pasta

Astrological...