The Show Must Go On: Ashley Cano

The Show Must Go On: Ashley Cano

Ashley Cano with fellow musicians: Anna Komorita, Mr. O’rane, Alyssa Cosico, and Julieta Martinez after performing for the Winter Concert 2018.

Photo from Anna Komorita

Ashley Cano with fellow musicians: Anna Komorita, Mr. O’rane, Alyssa Cosico, and Julieta Martinez after performing for the Winter Concert 2018. Photo from Anna Komorita

Stacy Vazquez, Academic Journalist

Senior Ashley Cano is hoping she will be able to make it to Sydney, Australia to perform as a flutist at the Sydney Opera House. However, things don’t always go as planned. A few weeks before the Winter Concert, Cano had to deal with her $1000 flute breaking. As a member of Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, and Jazz Ensemble, she knows that being a musician is definitely not easy and sometimes complications arise before a performance.  Instruments aren’t always cheap and often students struggle to afford them, so an expensive instrument breaking is a huge deal. “My sister left it to get wet in the rain which causes water damage, and it is also a student flute which means it doesn’t last very long,” She stated, explaining what happened.

Cano not only had to attend four concerts, but also had a duet with senior Angela Ancheta to perform. “I was afraid I wasn’t going to be able to go or do my duet. Especially since I have four concerts,” said Cano when she realized her flute was broken. Luckily, she was able to rent a new flute, and she was able to attend all of her concerts and do her duet.

Traveling to Sydney, Australia is an expensive trip and having to purchase a new flute is not helpful. Cano needs to raise approximately $5000 to be able to make the trip. Going to Australia would be a dream come true for her. As president of the Philharmonic Club, Cano would be opening doors for future musicians from UP. “As far as I know, I am the only student at U.P. ever to be accepted to the Sydney Opera House Honors Performance Series. All others have been accepted to Carnegie Hall instead,” she says.

Ashley started to play flute when she was in 6th grade. Though her love for music started at a young age. “Music first became a prominent idea in my mind when I watched Sleeping Beauty, as the mixture of sweet notes and nostalgia blended to create this overwhelming feeling of possibility,” she described. She continued to play as she began her studies at UP, and now is part of the Redlands Youth Symphony. She is a senior now and she hopes to be able to pursue a music career and hopefully someday become a professional flutist for a large city orchestra.