Listen UP

There Are No Mistakes, Only Happy Accidents

Juniors Nour Rajha and Lauren Lee happily painting along with the Bob Ross episode and enjoying their snacks. The students could choose between a wide selection of snacks such as cupcakes and brownies.

Joanna Lee, Section Editor

UP’s JaguArts Club held its very first art event on December 13th, 2018 in Mrs. Andersen’s Room, celebrating the legacy of the world-famous painter Bob Ross himself. Students gathered together to enjoy a variety of delightful treats and refreshments. Attendees received their own brushes and canvases and painted along with Bob Ross in his once-popular television show, The Joy of Painting.

While Bob Ross sadly passed away back in 1995, his carefree spirit and passion for painting still lives on within the hearts of the JaguArt’s members. He has been greatly admired and respected throughout his lifetime, inspiring generations of artists both young and old.

Sandra Aziz focuses on the details of her painting. Many students chose to incorporate their own styles and painting techniques while following video instructions.

Though this event was mostly aimed at existing members of JaguArts, all students of UP were allowed to participate in the celebration, regardless of whether they had any prior experience with painting or not. Bob Ross’s calm, soothing tone quickly spread among those who had attended the event. JaguArts sought to bring a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere to UP students as they began to prepare for the stress of Finals week. Attendees had been given goodie bags and were allowed to help themselves to a wide assortment of drinks and homemade baked treats specially prepared by JaguArts Vice-President Kayla Ferrer.

Students painted along to Episode 12, Season 26 of Bob Ross’s The Joy of Painting called “Sunset Aglow.” Each table was given a plate that contained various colors of oil paints, brushes, and a handful of spoons which were to be used as ‘painting knives.’ Before they were left to their own devices, the students were instructed to watch and follow along with the episode.

“The Bob Ross party was really fun! Waiting to get in made the whole thing feel like an exclusive party.” Junior Nour Rajha has been part of JaguArts Club since it was first founded in 2017. “The goodie bags and the homemade desserts were all very nice. The art video that we followed had a beautiful picture that everyone interpreted in a unique way.” Though she has a busy schedule, Rajha tries her best to make it to as many meetings as she can. The Bob Ross event would not have been possible without the loyalty and support of members like her. “I liked trying to paint with oil paints for the first time and following a very well known artist,” Rajha adds.

Mrs. Andersen proudly shows off her completed masterpiece. Jaguarts Officers will be hanging up submitted artworks on their ‘Art Bulletin Board’ over winter break. Artwork will be available for viewing in Mrs. Andersen’s classroom.

While some students chose to take their masterpieces home, most decided to leave them behind in the classroom where they would be displayed. The Bob Ross event is just one of many events that JaguArts plans to host in the future. The club’s strong passion for art and creativity is the main driving force behind the club’s continued success.

About the Writer
Joanna Lee, Editor

Position: School/Administration Editor

Grade: 11th grade

Hobbies: I mostly enjoy doing Digital Art, Watercolor, and Acrylic paintings in my free...