UP Girls Varsity Soccer Remains Undefeated After Win Against ACE

Sophomore Nathalie Alvarez looks to score her third goal of the season but ultimately misses the shot.

Izabel Vazquez

Izabel Vazquez

Izabel Vazquez

Izabel Vazquez, Sports Journalist

The UP girls varsity soccer team won Tuesday’s home conference game against Academy of Careers & Exploration by a score of 11-0.

The ladies stepped onto their own pitch for only the second time, with the hopes of holding onto their now 5-0-1 league record.

Senior and captain Abigail Vargas scored the first goal of the game in the third minute of playing time.

After being subbed out shortly after the goal, Vargas noted the amount of  effort that the start of the game consumed stating, “Only five minutes in?”

The Jags managed to get the ball to the back of the net three more times within ten minutes of Vargas’ goal. Sophomore Arianna Wiscowiche, sophomore Mikayla Flora, and junior Audrina Menchaca (who was newly named captain alongside Vargas) all tallied up one point each.

As the half continued, it looked increasingly likely that the score going into halftime would be 4-0 in favor of the Jags, however freshman Julia Perez  and senior Reyna Rodriguez added to the scoreboard with only two minutes of playing time remaining. With these goals and the ones from earlier in the game, our girls varsity team ended the first half with a 6-0 lead.

Coach Jorge, after watching the performance of the first half, had some words of advice for his team. “Communicate. We have to treat this like it’s a CIF game. We have to communicate and we have to behave.”

Wiscowiche was speedy and ready when she went back onto the field after halftime, scoring her second goal of the game only two minutes in.

Flora was caught offsides for the second time in the match, but captain Menchaca maintained a positive mentality and found the net, raising the score to 8-0.

Izabel Vazquez
Senior Karina Quintero ready to pass the defenders and attack toward the goal after the short pause in game play due to an injury.

The momentum of the game was put on pause after one of ACE’s forwards, junior Ashlee Gordon, experienced leg pain and spent a few moments on the ground.

The Jaguars recovered quickly from the pause in the action, resulting in a goal from senior Karina Quintero and back-to-back goals from sophomore Leila Sandoval and senior Reyna Rodriguez; ending the game with 11 goals for UP’s girls varsity team and none for ACE.

Izabel Vazquez
Junior Audrina Menchaca prepares to pass the ball further down the field and sophomore Mikayla Flora motions to the opening for the pass, but the play not resulting in a goal for the Jags.

This marked the fifth league win for UP girls varsity team. With a still undefeated conference record, the team is hopeful to advance to CIF at the end of the regular season. The Jags won’t see a home field advantage again until after the new year, where they’ll face Lucerne Valley on Jan 8, 2019 at 3:00 PM.

About the Contributor
Izabel Vazquez, Editor

Position: Sports Editor

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Reading, photography, listening to music

Favorite Foods: Kuy teav

Astrological Sign: Capricorn

Music...