Budgeting and Balance: Key to a Successful Financial Life

Sophia Kim posing for her picture after being interviewed for the budgeting news report.

Hisham Quotami

Hisham Quotami

Hisham Quotami

Hisham Qotami, Journalist

Budgeting and fiscal responsibility are very important factors in being successful with your life. In senior transition class, the seniors have had the pleasure of watching videos from Dave Ramsey, a budgeting expert that teaches children and teenagers all over the world how to be smart with their financial gains.

“Either you invest it or you spend it. It’ll eventually end up in someone else’s pocket but it is still important to use your money wisely.” Jonathan Cristales doesn’t have a job or any reliable source of income but knows that, overall, his budgeting skills are based on the right idea. “Focus on the most important thing for you, and then question spending any money every time,” Cristales adds.

Senior Sophia Kim currently has a job and manages to budget her money very effectively. “I think budgeting is a really good way to keep track of your spending and earning. Before I had a job I just spent my money recklessly but now I’m completely independent of my financial needs [not adult bills] and without budgeting, there would be a lot of things I wouldn’t be able to do. If I didn’t budget, I wouldn’t be able to pay for things like my senior package.” Kim continues with seriousness regarding her take on financial planning: “Budgeting shouldn’t start when you’re broke.”

Students may have differing opinions about budgeting, but many agree that it is very important, no matter the circumstances. So, if you want to have a good financial life, you should definitely invest some of your time in establishing a budget.