School Might Start Later?!

School Might Start Later?!

Beautiful sunrises like these will be missed if school times are changed. Photo taken by Junior Cienna Rosas.
Retraction:  The word sunset was changed to sunrise in the photo caption.

Beautiful sunrises like these will be missed if school times are changed. Photo taken by Junior Cienna Rosas. Retraction:  The word sunset was changed to sunrise in the photo caption.

Cienna Rosas

Cienna Rosas

Cienna Rosas

Jonathan Vasquez, Journalist

Nearly 80 percent of schools in California start before 8:30 in the morning, but a recent bill is attempting to change that fact, making it a law that schools cannot start before 8:30 in the morning.

The bill, called SB 328, strives to change the time schools begin rather than changing the length of the academic school day. The reason that this bill is being considered is due to studies that have shown that sleep patterns of adolescents are significantly different than those of adults. According to these studies, both middle school and high schoolers need a minimum of 9 hours of sleep; without the proper sleep, students may exhibit poor academic performance, become depressed, experience loneliness, and are more inclined to partake in addictive behaviors.

There is criticism for the bill, of course. Those who oppose the bill say that changing the start time will have an unwanted domino effect. Changing start times will cause a restructuring in bus transportation, students won’t be able to care for younger siblings who get out earlier, those who participate in after school activities will have fewer hours to complete school work, and then, there’s the risk that teens will simply stay up later and thus defeat the entire purpose of the bill.  

If the bill receives the green light, all school districts in California have until July 1, 2021, to implement it. For obvious reasons, it seems that students are hoping and praying for the change. “It took me 3 blocks to become fully awake,” senior Gio Dominguez recalls. He says that when in college, he won’t be taking any morning classes. Middle schooler Jeremy Vasquez,  showed a bit more concern toward the subject. “I’m not exactly a morning person.” It seems that Vasquez would have had an easier time focusing on his schoolwork if he wasn’t sleeping half of the time.

Other students will not enjoy it as much. Junior Carlos DeSantiago is one of the many students who says that the school day will end later because of the later start time, something that he hopes does not happen. He doesn’t mind waking up early, as this doesn’t effect his school work.

Leaving the choice to change school times to the districts themselves, Governor Jerry Brown recently vetoed the bill, claiming that “this is a one-size-fits-all approach.” Those who would like to see the bill amended still have hope. Governor Brown’s decision can always be reversed given the fact that California has recently elected a new governor: Gavin Newsom.