Is it Procrastination or Relaxation?

Is it Procrastination or Relaxation?

Freshmen Stacy Vazquez (left) and Shania Williams Banks (right) doing homework at a lunch table.

Samantha Casarez

Samantha Casarez

Samantha Casarez

Samantha Casarez, Journalist

Many people had school work to do during Thanksgiving Break. Some students did it right away to have the rest of the break free from the worry of finishing it because, after all, a break is a break. Others had strategically planned out certain times to do their work so they could finish in time without finishing it all at once. However, most people procrastinate. Now, we all know that procrastination is bad, so why do we do it?

“I kind of procrastinated. Netflix is tempting. I don’t regret it, because it helped me to not stress too much,” 8th grader Alexander Martinez stated. His weakness and strength comes from Netflix which helps to relieve any anxiety but also becomes a distraction from the work he should be doing.

As for Senior Michael Lewis, “Yes, I did procrastinate because I wanted to rest. No, I don’t regret it.” It is quite natural for students to want to take a break from their work after working very hard almost non-stop. It is good to take a break once in a while so you don’t burn out, and this spawns the question whether procrastination is really all that bad.

We seem to put procrastination in a bad light, but although many did procrastinate, they did finish their work. When you procrastinate, you usually do something else instead of your assigned work. But procrastination isn’t always doing something negative like mindlessly liking photos on Instagram. For Freshman Mirella Moran procrastination on her work is for something very important to her. “I spent time with my family.” The breaks given from school are mostly spent not only as a mental break, but also as a way to reconnect with others. Sophomore Martina Sadeek relates as there is no competition between work and relationships.  “I hang out with my family and friends.”

Procrastination seems to be something that is seen as lazy, but is it really all that bad? With Winter Break coming up, some teachers may assign work even though students have just finished their finals. It’ll be more time off than Thanksgiving Break, but some students may still procrastinate and others may do their work right away to relieve themselves of any stress that it could cause them. Do you think procrastination is good? Or is it bad? Will you procrastinate over Winter Break?

About the Contributor
Samantha Casarez, Journalist

Position: Academics/Journalist/Team Smarties

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Listening to music, writing music, analyzing song lyrics, collecting coins,...