First Finals

First Finals

7th grader Aalia Rodriguez the week before Finals speaks about what she is expecting from the exams coming from her teachers in the coming week.

Janelle White

Janelle White

Janelle White

Janelle White, Journalist

Finals week is here. The week before winter break calls for students to recall everything they’ve learned since the beginning of the first semester of the school year. As the upperclassmen prepare for the same studying routine they’ve followed for the past few years at school, seventh graders are up against their first big exams.

Seventh-grader Aalia Rodriguez has already seen exams as big as finals at her old elementary school. “I did take a test in elementary, it was actually pretty easy. I don’t think elementary school prepared us though, because we got to talk and help each other, and we went out for a break every thirty minutes.” Although Rodriguez is new on campus, stress is no stranger to her. Finals can take a large toll on students, as she reveals, “I’m nervous. Most of my finals count as 15% of my grade,” Rodriguez says seriously, “If I score anything below an 80% on any of my finals, I’ll be getting my first C.”

As many of the upperclassmen know, finals come twice a year. One week in December and one week in May are both dedicated to these cumulative tests. Students who have been attending our school since 7th grade know that finals come around annually. Rodriguez widens her eyes at the idea of taking finals for the next five years, stating, “I’m very upset. I think finals are just stressful and stupid.” Like many others, Rodriguez has heard study tips from her peers. “I heard to delete all social media,” she states. Rodriguez speaks about the finals she feels the best and worst about. “I only feel good about English. The worst final I’m going to take is probably History since Mr. Lee has ten million sections he wants us to memorize.”

Another Seventh-grader, Emma Woodul, speaks about her experiences with tests in her school prior to University Preparatory. “We had state tests, but that was it. It actually went well, but it was very stressful.” As elementary schools aren’t as focused on big exams at the end of a semester like high school is, Woodul talks about the educational impact her elementary school had in order to prepare her for Finals Week. “I think my elementary school did a decent job, actually.”

Much like Rodriguez, Woodul isn’t too excited for the next tests in the upcoming years of middle school and high school, “So far, I’m worried. But I could get used to it.” Woodul states, “I haven’t heard any tips to study from anyone.” Woodul says she looks forward to her language-based subjects, English and Spanish, but isn’t so excited for Science and History.

While high schoolers have a sense of security due to having taken finals in the past and doing the same routine yearly, seventh graders are getting used to the stressful exams and the studying cycle.

Janelle White
7th grader Emma Woodul talks about her Finals experience, the week of the big exams in December.

About the Contributor
Janelle White, Journalist

Position: Academics/Journalist/Team Smarties

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Playing Ukulele, Drawing, Pacific Islander Club

Favorite Foods: Spaghetti

Astrological...