Mr. Jaguar Returns for 2019

The+2019+Mr.+Jaguar+contestants+awaiting+the+results+of+the+winner.+Santiago+Ramirez-Chavez%2C+Allen+Nguyen%2C+

Mr. Jaguar Returns for 2019

The 2019 Mr. Jaguar contestants awaiting the results of the winner. Santiago Ramirez-Chavez, Allen Nguyen,

Alex Arreola and Samantha Salazar

Senior Allen Nguyen was named 2019’s  Mr. Jaguar in the multipurpose room nearing the end of the annual Fall Carnival on November 30, 2018, which began after school at 4:00 pm. Allen competed against four other contestants for the title. 

Mr. Jaguar was a great way to have a fun and friendly competition, but it wasn’t just about winning. Senior contestant Santiago Ramirez-Chavez revealed his motivation for participating by stating, “I might as well get out there.” Santiago stated he has always “been in a shell” and saw Mr. Jaguar as an opportunity to be outgoing and have fun during his final year of high school. Attendee junior Rachel Membreno revealed, “When you hear their experiences about being more involved in clubs and school activities, it makes you want to do more of that [yourself.] I enjoyed that everyone had their own funny turn and the modeling.”

Contestants competed in a talent show and interview and trivia questions. During the trivia portion, contestants were required to answer varying questions regarding the history of University Preparatory school. Questions such as the name of the street upon which the old campus was located stumped contestants. In addition to the trivia, the contestants were also asked questions about how they viewed the world. Freshman Jackie Islas felt “It was inspiring and made me see how others see the world.” 

When  Nguyen was asked how it felt to be crowned Mr. Jaguar, he stated, “It feels great but I have to thank everyone, including my fellow peers and the teachers- especially the crew who helped. It was an honor.” 

For onlooker and event co-ordinator senior Sophia Kim, the highlight “was seeing the boys being put into the spotlight and killing it.” The return of the pageant was ultimately a full blown success.

About the Writer
Samantha Salazar, Journalist

Position: Administration and People Journalist

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: My hobbies are watching Youtube, playing games, listening to music, watching...