Girls Varsity Soccer win First Home Conference Game Despite Near-Freezing Temperatures

The University Preparatory Girls Varsity Soccer team stops an attack from the Silver Valley Trojans, resulting in the Trojans not scoring until later in the game.

Daniel Martinez

Daniel Martinez

Daniel Martinez

Izabel Vazquez-, Sports Journalist

On December 5, the Lady Jags emerged triumphant against the Trojans, dominating the first half and earning their first home conference win.

Home field advantage and the opposition playing with only ten girls worked in the favor of UP’s Varsity team. With temperatures sitting near 48℉, the Lady Jags didn’t seem to be fazed by the weather. Junior Brianna Gomez mentioned that “Weather like today doesn’t affect us so much. Some girls may be a bit stiff as they’re going for the ball, but I know for me, it doesn’t have an effect.”

Unfortunately for the Trojans, they scored an own goal in the fourth minute of playing time.

In the seventh minute, an opportunity for the Jags arose; however, junior Evelyse Padilla couldn’t get the ball in the goal, but definitely started an aggressive attack for our Jags.

Shortly after Evelyse Padilla’s attack, junior America Hernandez earned her first goal of the season. This goal was shortly followed by goals from freshman Lauren Torno and two from senior Reyna Rodriguez.

As the Knights’ defense seemed to combat the pressuring forwards, the Jags found their feet again and sophomore Mikayla Flora made a pass to Reyna Rodriguez, giving her the third goal of the game and raising the lead to 6-0 Jags in the twenty-fourth minute.

With a goal from senior captain Abigail Vargas  and from juniors Cienna Rosas and Audrina Menchaca, the goal by Mikayla Flora right before halftime allowed the Jags to end the half with an impressive 10-0 lead.

Though the Jags’ offense proved to be commanding the field, Coach Jorge didn’t want to approach the second half in the same manner as the first. “We don’t need to keep scoring, we need to open the field,” instructed the coach. “Give each other sharp passes and communicate through this half.”

The Jags did exactly that in the forty minutes of playing time left; focused on making clean passes and not worrying about pressuring the goal. Though playing with a more defensive approach, junior Kaylani Morales saw an opening, took it and earned the last goal of the game for UP.

In search of getting on the board, The Knights piled forward and junior captain Lilly Greenslate added a goal to their previous score of 0 and to her already nine goals this season. This goal was a bit too late for the Knights to be able to recover, with only twelve minutes of playing time left and behind by ten points.

The game was an excellent start for the Lady Jags season, as they hope to have an undefeated home record for the Girls Varsity Team. Their next home game is on Dec. 18 against the Academy of Careers & Exploration Eagles.

About the Photographer
Daniel Martinez-Orellana, Photo Editor

Position: Photo Editor / The Fantastic Four

Grade: 12th grade

Hobbies: Running, Soccer, Surfing, EATING

Favorite Foods: Food in General

Astrological...