Far from Being “In the Pink”

Far from Being “In the Pink”

Jeanine Martinez, Editor-in-Chief

Every morning UP students run to the front gate as Principal Hatcher yells out ‘You have 30 seconds to make it through this gate!’

If you haven’t heard her say that, you were either really early or really late. If it was the latter, then you probably received a tardy. If you accumulate enough, you are given the pink discipline paperwork that sends you straight to the office to discuss the problem and possibly receive a punishment such as detention or loss of school activities.

However, these repercussions are something students strongly debate.

“I think the idea of tardies is a good idea to help instil good habits into students to prepare them for future job schedules, but I feel some of the protocols are a bit extreme.” The protocols to follow for tardies like the stripping away of participation, didn’t sit right with 11th grader Karina Young. “Like, if I get taken out of a charity club that I have commited a good chunk of my time to, the charities suffer not me. And that seems unfair to me as I have done good work in said program.”

The most common tardies seem to be in the early morning although they do occur during school when students make their way to class and don’t make it into the class before the bell. Because of the recent crack down, teachers often send students to the office to receive a tardy slip and so another tardy is added to their attendance.

As much as students may not like the punishments, it is a part of the school’s policy. Even under California Law, tardies and truancies must be handled and addressed.

UP’s Tardy/Truancy Policy starts with a simple warning for 1-3 tardies and as you accumulate more tadies, the punishments that are given become harsher until you collect 12 and are dismissed from UP.