Jaguars Prowl the Cougar’s House

Juniors+Frida+Sorenson+and+Kaylani+Morales+race+to+the+ball+before+an+opponent+member%2C+while+playing+on+Cims+field.+

Jaguars Prowl the Cougar’s House

Juniors Frida Sorenson and Kaylani Morales race to the ball before an opponent member, while playing on Cims field.

Ruby Magana

Ruby Magana

Ruby Magana

Ruby Magana, Sports Journalist

Varsity girls soccer had their first December conference game on Tuesday, December 4, 2018, vs CIMS. This cold afternoon on CIMS field led to the UP girls taking the win 4-1.

CIMS goalie sophomore Madeline Blazy, played both halves for her team. There were two goals that got past her in the first half. The first goal to start of the game was scored by sophomore Ariana Wiscowiche (#13). The second shot was scored by sophomore Nathalie Alvarez (#9).  Towards the end of the first half, UP was called for a foul close to the goal. CIMS received a penalty kick, and Madyson Brandt (#7) made the shot, ending the first half of the game with UP in the lead, 2-1.

After halftime, both coaches made player changes. The UP girls then stole the ball, passing to Ariana Wiscowiche, who scored once again at the beginning of the second half. Sophomore Mikayla Flora (#12), was put back into the game at the middle of the half after being taken out by the coach for a leg injury. “Their field was really muddy, so I slipped and hurt my leg,” Flora stated. “Then in the middle of the half coach asked me if I was ok and put me back in. Right before I went in, he told me to score, so he motivated me to try a little bit harder to make a goal.” Soon after returning, Flora made the final goal of the game. Although she was hurt, she and her teammates still managed to end the game strong. CIMS had many close shots in the second half but didn’t get any goals past UP’s goalie, junior Kaylani Morales (#24). Although CIMS showed great effort, UP took the win.