Who Knew Jaguars Could Take on Grizzly Bears?

Sophomore Roy Ponce leads the charge.

Sophomore Roy Ponce leads the charge.

Ruby Magana

Sophomore Roy Ponce leads the charge.

Ruby Magana

Ruby Magana

Sophomore Roy Ponce leads the charge.

Ruby Magana, Sports Journalist

The Boys Varsity Soccer Jaguars went against the Big Bear Grizzlies on December 11, 2018, to score a 3-2 win on the Jaguar field. Although the Jaguars led throughout both halves of the game, the game was full of yellow card incidents that led to a competitive turnaround towards the end of the game.

A lot happened in the first half for the Jaguar boys. Junior Edgar Morales (#4), made the first goal with a header to start of the game. Also Sophomore Roy Ponce (#14), scored with Morales earning the assist. Soon after the goal, a Jaguar junior, Brian Ortiz (#10), was given a yellow card for pushing. Later in this same half, Big Bear’s player number 5 also got a yellow card for shoving.

The first half ended with Big Bear trailing UP 2-0.

So many yellow cards open up opportunities for both teams to score. UP team captain Roy Ponce revealed, “It’s all a part of the game, and we should do a better job at keeping our heads up. At the end of the day, it’s going to happen and we just have to keep our cool and focus on the game.”

At the beginning of the second half, senior Alexander Orduño (#11) showed frustration by shaking his head when making a mistake, or when shooting and not making the goal, until he scored shortly after. His mood change on the field was noticeable. He later stated, “Scoring the goal made me more excited for the rest of the game. It just made the game more intense and ended with us winning.” Orduño’s goal came in handy, as Big Bear rallied and began scoring.

Big Bear’s player number 10 was given another yellow card. Then with only 3 minutes left in the game, their player number 16 got a hold of the ball and made the very first goal for his team. Immediately on the heels of this, a foul is called against the Jaguars, and Big Bear gets a penalty shot chance. Big Bear’s player number 10 scored against UP’s goalie sophomore Julian Rodriguez (#22), bringing the score to 3-2 with UP still in the lead. Almost immediately before the game ended, another one of UP’s players, senior Abraham Martinez (#16), got the team’s second yellow card of the game. This ended the game with UP taking the win from the Big Bear boys. Although the game nearly took a big turn at the end of the game, Big Bear was not able to catch up to the 3 goals UP had scored earlier.