Jaguars Roar at the Cougars

Varsity+boys+on+the+sidelines+at+half-time.+

Jaguars Roar at the Cougars

Varsity boys on the sidelines at half-time.

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy

Alroza Rasy, Sports Journalist

On December 4th, 2018 the University Preparatory Varsity Boys Soccer team beat the Cobalt Cougars. The Jaguars took on the Cougars for their third league home game. In the end, the Jaguar boys triumphantly won the game, with a final score of 3-1.

After a few warm-up drills, a prayer, and a motivational pregame talk from the coach, the players were ready to face the Cougars. The boys started off vigorously; they communicated on the field, worked together as a team and stayed focused on the goal. Within the first 20 minutes, senior Alexander Orduño (#11), scored the first and only goal in the first half.

Towards the end of the first half, junior Luis Bonilla (#7), got a little aggressive with CIMS player Leo Enriquez (#6), and both players were called to the side by the ref and given a small warning. Luckily neither of the players was removed from the game.

When asked what exactly happened and how he felt about the situation, Bonilla responded, “So what happened was there was a 50/50 ball and we both ran to it, and I ended up pushing him down, I didn’t think it was a foul but he got kind of mad, got up and pushed me away. I felt confused. I didn’t know it was a foul. I thought it was just a fair match up shoulder to shoulder, but I kept my head in the game, and didn’t let it get to me.”

The CIMS Cougars played the rest of the game with one Cougar down, as Junior Leo Enriquez (#6) received a red card for foul language.

During halftime, the Jaguar boys were called in for a talk with the coach, even though the players felt they were giving it their all, he felt as if they could do better. They needed to increase their energy, communicate with one another more, and in the last 40 minutes crush the Cougars and finish the game.

With the Jaguars pumped and ready to take on a win after their talk with the coach, just within the first 5-10 minutes of the game player, sophomore Antonio Robinett (#25), 10, scored a goal assisted by the only freshman on the team, Adrian Carranza (#6),  giving our Jaguar boys a score of 2-0.

Halfway throughout the game the opposing team got a penalty kick but was successfully blocked by goalie junior Gael Ramirez. (#23). Not too long after that, a goal was made by a player from the opposing team, Geovanni Neri (#15)  leaving the score at 2-1.

The final goal was made once again by player sophomore Antonio Robinett (#25). The Jaguars left the field with a final score of 3-1. Robinett was the player of the game, finishing off the game with the winning goal and scoring two goals overall.  Asked about how he felt after the pep talk, his response was, “I felt motivated. It’s obvious that the coach had trust in us to go and win the game.”

About the Contributor
Alroza Rasy, Journalist

Position: Sports

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Dancing

Favorite Foods: Salad, French Fries

Astrological Sign: Capricorn

Music Playlist: Hip...