Chamber Orchestra performs at the California League of High Schools’ Accolades Ceremony

During a break Santiago Ramirez and Mr. Orane take a moment to wipe off their hard work

Daniel Martinez and Troy Gamurot

Daniel Martinez and Troy Gamurot

Daniel Martinez and Troy Gamurot

Troy Gamurot, Journalist

On November 15th, 2018, the University Preparatory Chamber Orchestra performed for the California League of High School’s annual accolades ceremony, wherein they announced who received California’s Educator of the Year Award. Preparing pieces weeks in advance, Chamber Orchestra, lead by Mr. O’Rane, had been requested to play for the event for years now. Using Chamber’s staple pieces such as Bacchanale and Rhosymedre, along with a new feature piece, the ensemble was tasked with providing entertainment for the night.

The group left the campus at 2:50 P.M., bound for the event’s venue at the Ontario Airport Hotel. After an approximately 40 minute trip, Chamber arrived earlier than the requested start time, in order to set up the music stands and prepare for their performance. After the initial set up, the hosts of the event provided pizza for the performing group, telling them to replenish their energy before playing. After eating, the group cleaned up, assembled their instruments, and arranged their music prior to the 5 PM start time in order to complete a sound check for each prepared piece.

Once the clock had struck 5:00, the group quickly composed themselves and prepared for show time. While the group performed as primarily a table music accompaniment to the Educator of the Year nominees’ dinner, Chamber was given a chance to showcase a piece of their choosing: Danse Macabre, a feature piece that spotlights the violin soloist Julieta Martinez. After Danse Macabre, Chamber continued to circulate through their various pieces until their dismissal at approximately 6:30 PM. When asked about his opinion on the performance, Violinist Eric Vo commented that, “Personally, I think we gave it our all and we played to the best of our abilities. The only thing I was upset about was that the audience was unresponsive.” Fellow Violinist Ira Obillo agreed, believing that, “I think we did pretty good, partly because of our weekly hour practice after school, however, I felt that the audience didn’t appreciate us and showed a lack of respect not only to us, but to Mr. O’Rane.”

Bidding goodbye to the CLHS nominees, the ensemble departed, taking keepsake photographs before heading onto the bus and home. Thinking about the event as a whole, Trumpeter Zachary Martinez said, “It was interesting because I’ve never done it before. I liked doing it and it was a very good experience for me.” Before reaching the school campus, the group had a quick stop at In n’ Out, to refuel. Violist Orlando enjoyed the experience as a whole, stating that, “It was a pretty cool experience playing for the people in the dining room and it was fun to hang out with my friends afterwards.” The group arrived back on campus at 9:40 P.M. Reflecting after the event, Flutist Ashley Cano came to the conclusion that, “In spite of the blatant ignorance of our audience, I believe that we put out a great performance for ourselves, if not for them. I’m glad we went, even if we were ignored.”

Chamber Orchestra’s next scheduled performance is on the morning of December 5th, 2018, for the Victorville Chamber of Commerce’s Accolade Awards event.

About the Writer
Troy Gamurot, Journalist

Position: Clubs Committee Journalist

Grade: 12th grade

Hobbies: I enjoy playing video games, watching movies, and sleeping.

Favorite Foods: Ice...