Girl Jags Score the Victory in Lucerne Valley

Izabel Vazquez, Sports Journalist

Girls Varsity Soccer won their first league game against the Lucerne Valley High School Mustangs on Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2018.

University Preparatory’s girls’ varsity soccer took on the LVHS Mustangs in Lucerne Valley for their first league game. The girls ended victoriously in the high scoring game, with the final score of 12-0.

After a music jamming session of Ariana Grande’s ‘Thank U, Next’, a few warm-up drills, and a pregame talk with their Coach, the Jags started the game off strong with Abigail Vargas, 12, scoring the first goal of the game in the fourth minute.

Keeping the momentum going, Vargas, Cienna Rosas, 11, and Alexa Morga, 11, all got the ball to the back of the net and raised the score to 4-0 in the thirteenth minute of the game.

After multiple substitutions and fine footwork from the Jags, Morga scored another. Right as Lucerne Valley’s Yazmine Trijillo seemed to slow down our varsity team, Arianna Wiscowiche, 10, tallied up two goals; one goal being assisted by Tayler Avila, 9. Tayler later scored the last goal of the half, resulting in the Jags leaving the field for halftime with the score of 8-0.

The second half of the game didn’t have as many goals scored, but did feature sharper passes as instructed by Coach Jorge during halftime.

Brianna Gomez, 11,  started the goal streak with thirty-eight minutes left in the half, followed by goals from Mikayla Flora, 10, and Reyna Rodriguez, 12.

After a goal by Karina Quintero, 12, with twenty-six minutes of playing time left, Lucerne’s goalkeeper, Jasmine Villanueva, saved any other shots, preventing the Jags from adding to their 12-0 lead.

The communication skills stressed by Coach Jorge helped key players like captain Abigail Vargas and Alexa Morga to earn two goals each, and Nathalie Alvarez, 10, to earn two assists. The girls varsity team triumphed in Lucerne Valley with a 12-0 win.

About the Writer
Izabel Vazquez, Journalist

Position: Sports Journalist

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Reading, baking, color guard

Favorite Foods: Kuy teav

Astrological Sign: Capricorn

Music...