Objection, Your Honor!

Objection, Your Honor!

The Mock Trial team outside the Victorville Courthouse.

Scarlett Price

Scarlett Price

Scarlett Price

Janelle White, Entertainment Journalist

What’s been cooking in court lately? Mock Trial was faced with a recent parley in which they were required to debate upon an issue about a social threat. The case’s results have not been received, but members of the team have heard otherwise. The Mock Trial team had some interesting comments to say in their recent debate where they took the stand and told their testimony.

Freshman Xiayang Zheng in Mock Trial takes on his first year in court. This recent case is a fun educational experience for Zheng. “Mock Trial looks good on your resume for college.” He said with a smile, “It’s fun to argue with other people on a case, because arguing is always fun.” Rumors about their loss have been heard, but this case seemed to be a minor downfall for Xiayang, “[We] didn’t get our results, but the attorney coach said we lost.” Their recent defeat didn’t stop their enjoyment at court though. “The other team kept screaming objections at us and we were interviewed by another school.” When they were asked, “So did you mean it as a threat or something?” Our defendant responded, “Yeah… no.””

Sophomore Kaytlin Reyes is taking the stand for her second year. In response to the newer members who joined the team, Reyes says proudly, “They did really well. They were passionate about it. It wasn’t as good as last year where the people have been there for four years, but I really liked their passion.” Reyes’  information aligned with Zheng’s. “We didn’t win. We lost by 1 point.” Like Zheng, Reyes expressed her favorite part about the event: “It was how Jonny played his character.” She said laughing, “It was funny; he took on the character really well.” During the next competition, Reyes will be playing the clerk, whose role requires a lot of math.

Junior Vartineh Organesian also had her first taste of court. She made sure she did not show up unprepared to the scene. “It’s a new experience. I took the class last year and had a bit of background, so I was able to play the witness better.” Oganesian also suspects a loss, stating, “We didn’t win.” She enjoys some moments of the trial, and appreciates the other Mock Trial team’s efforts. “Well it was nice to see how they fared against us.” She mused, “The defendant almost confessed to the crime.”

Senior Charlie Tran, a member for three years, gives us his insight on the newer members of the club and his optimism about the future direction of the team: “The new members were passionate about Mock Trial. There were a lot of underclassmen who signed up this year compared to last. This will be helpful for the club next year because it shows the team can nurture [new members] and gain lots of experience and be prepared for what’s coming next year.” Tran also explains  how the Mock Trial system works: “Cases are like winning and losing. Schools that participate get at least 4 competitions, and if we win all of them, we move on to the next round.”

Mock Trial provides lots of educational opportunities and new experiences for students who participate, and  these members prove that its a lot of fun to remain professional.

About the Contributors
Janelle White, Journalist

Position: Academics/Journalist/Team Smarties

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Playing Ukulele, Drawing, Pacific Islander Club

Favorite Foods: Spaghetti

Astrological...

Scarlett Price, Journalist

Position: Academics/Journalist/Smarties

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Cheer, Pacific Islander, reading fan-fiction, fan-girling

Favorite Foods: Chocolate

Astrological...