10th, 11th, 12th

Sophomore Jade Amaya is very creative and loves to paint and make beats. She also enjoys singing in Choir Club.

10th Grade: Jade Amaya

Sophomore Jade Amaya is a very artistic student. Amaya states that she likes to paint and sketch. She also creates new colors and paints with them and adds the paintings to her walls. She states that she does not have a specific art style, and that she paints whatever comes to mind or whatever inspires her. She also says that painting is not the only art she does; she also loves making beats and even uploads them onto her YouTube channel.

She states, “I’ve always liked music, so creating it is something I enjoy.” She also mentioned that she writes songs in a notebook or on the notes app on her computer.

Amaya is the oldest of her 2 siblings, and the reason she tries her best is so that her younger siblings can see her as a good influence. She states, “Since they’re little, I take care of them when my parents aren’t around. I hope I can be a positive role model for them.” She even helps teach them sometimes since she already knows what they are learning.

Amaya says she tries very hard in school to be successful, and to become something in life. She says “I keep a schedule and list of things I need to get done. That way, I don’t fall behind or forget about anything. I’ve found it really helpful because it helps me stay organized and on track.” She maintains straight A’s with a 4.0 gpa as a very successful student.

She says she is considering whether she wants to be a criminal defense attorney for the wrongly accused, or become an intellectual property attorney. She has always had an interest in becoming something in the law field. Overall, Amaya has set her goals in life and is trying very hard to achieve them. 

Junior Alex Arreola’s favorite subject in school is English. She also loves creative writing. (Provided by Alex Arreola)

11th Grade: Alex Arreola

Alex Arreola is a hard-working and highly motivated junior who represents what it means to be a top University Preparatory Jaguar with flying colors. When questioned on why she thinks she won, she answered, “I think I was probably chosen because I turn my work in on time and I participate in my classes.”

Arreola’s favorite thing to do is listen to music. She says it helps her relax when she feels stressed and it’s “honestly just a great escape.” Her favorite song at the moment is “One Hundred Sleepless Nights” by Pierce the Veil or “Another Life” by Motionless in White. She also loves to watch the show “Shameless” in her downtime.

If Arreola could live anywhere in the world, she states, “I would either move to the UK or Italy because I think both countries are beautiful and I’ve always wanted to travel there. Of course, the US is my home but I feel like it would be fun to experience other cultures and live in a new place.” 

What’s her secret to success? She states, “I would say my ‘secret to success’ is always finishing your work even if you lose motivation or you don’t think it will be done on time. Finishing your work is better than not doing it at all. In terms of work ethic, I would say that I try to get my work done as quickly as possible. I try my hardest to finish all my assignments on time no matter how long it may take to get the work done.”

Senior Treasure Olson favorite song right now is “Kids” by Current Joys. She also loves to watch the show Orange is the New Black when she is not busy coming up with million dollar screenplays and productions. (Provided by Treasure Olson)

12th Grade: Treasure Olson

Senior Treasure Olson is a very creative person. She loves to write and create and always have a project to focus on. She feels lazy without one. “Having something on the side to do, just a novel or screenplay, or an art project, or directing some short film, is truly what gives me purpose, I think. I want to live and bring new things into the world, new entertainment for people to enjoy! I’m a hard worker when I’m passionate about something, and if I’m being honest, I’m kind of a procrastinator when it comes to things I’m not passionate about,” she says with a laugh, “But I’m working on it!”

Her favorite subjects are English and Drama, if you could not tell already. When questioned about her dream career, Olson states that it is to be a director for an animated show. She is passionate about directing having already had tons of experience. She states, “Being in so many clubs and groups and having leadership positions in them has helped me learn to be responsible and yet still have fun when it comes to being in charge of things such as shows or dance productions, so I’m beyond excited to get to use that in my career. That, and I’ve always been so enthralled by how shows capture and tell stories, and by just how many people tune in to watch certain shows. I want to be able to bring that happiness of entertainment into people’s lives, and especially through the medium of animation, which I believe is kind of overlooked when it comes to the quite literally limitless nature of what you can put in an animated show.” Her plan for the future is to move back to Thailand for one year to earn money and come back when she plans on attending UCSD.

When asked why she thinks she won this month, Treasure Olson exclaimes, “To be honest I have NO idea why I was chosen for this month’s winner… But I’m very glad and thankful to have been nominated and to have also won! As for the secret to my success, I have NO clue. I just kind of try to do my best at the jobs I take on, and I take on extra work for a lot of them, which is actually kind of unhealthy in the long run for me. Do not recommend.”